Over break my older brother and I book swapped and he gave me three comic books. I have never really been one for his comic books but I figured I would give them a try because he was reading my books which was a change for him. I just finished the first one last night, it is called Sweet tooth, Out of The Deep Woods by Jeff lemire. The basic story line of this graphic novel is that there is a plague that is slowly killing off all the humans, but when this plague went into activation there was a birth of kids that were born with some kind of animal in them. They were born with antlers, animal skin, fur, hooves..something. Gus is the main character of this novel in the beginning it is only him and his father. They live in the woods together, his mother died of the plague when he was really young. Gus's father tells his to never leave the woods because there is fire and murder and sin out in the world. Every night they pray for their mother that she is okay in heaven and that someday God will take them there to see her. When his father dies, Gus adventures into the woods to bury him next to his mother and at this point in time he gets hunted by two hunters. Luckily, he is saved by Mr.Jepperd who Gus has seen in his dreams before but never in real life. Mr. Jpperd tells Gus that he is not safe and that he needs to come with him. Now being alone with no family, he goes. Mr.Jepperd explains to Gus that there is a lot of people who would pay a lot of money to have someone like him who is half man half animal but that he would protect him and take him to the preserve where all the other ones are begin keep safe. Gus goes with him and along the way gets the nick name Sweet tooth from Mr.Jepperd because at their first meal Gus would not eat any of the meat that Mr.Jepperd was cooking because he did not want to eat another animal, so Mr.Jeppered gave him candy bars. Which Gus loved! As the story progresses they encounter a lot of situations where people try and steal Sweet Tooth, but Mr.Jepperd save's him. But in the end Mr.Jepperd and Gus get to the preserve and Mr.Jepperd turns Sweet Tooth over for a reward that he was promised. The whole story shows that you can not trust anyone except what you were brought up on. That you should trust your instincts and not just believe what some stranger tells you because they have food and say they will project you!
I really like reading graphic novels. Seeing the really detailed pictures to go along with the story really helps to fully understand what the author is trying to get across rather than just going with the images that I create in my head! I am excited to read the next two comic books my brother gave me. I think this is a great way for students who struggle with reading to read. In high school when we were reading The Great Gatsby our teacher has the book in a graphic novel form and each day someone new got to follow along with the graphic novel form. It really helped a lot of my class mates understand better what was going on in the tale. It makes me think if Romeo and Juliet were in graphic novel form would more students understand it better?
Ellie,
ReplyDeleteThere have been a huge number of classic texts reworked as graphic novels. Have you seen that section of the library? It's work looking at. What is it that helps the struggling reader so much? Is it the absence of text? The inclusion of visuals? For things like Shakespeare, I think it would be great because it would provide some idea of how the play could be staged. It sounds like this Sweet Tooth text was just a big version of Stranger Danger though. Was it more complex than that? I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm just a bit troubled that this poor character Gus gets let around then sold into a "zoo" I hope it's the beginning of a series and that he can have more adventures!
I do not think that there is really a lot of the text missing when you read a comic book. At least when I read a log with Great Gatsby there was A LOT of text. I think it is just the idea that there is so much color and you do not have to strain your mind to try and create the image to understand and take in the information to comprehend the text. The image is already there for you on paper which helps you comprehend the text a long faster
ReplyDeleteAs for the series Gus is in for a rough ride but he does not end up in a very exciting adventure. He takes on the scientists that are pumping drugs into him and ends up freeing the other people/animals that are there with him. and goes on this long 6 book adventure.