Monday, September 13, 2010

Reply to Post

I Really do enjoy reading Mysteries they are one type of book that really keep me reading. That and poetry. I have never really read a series of books except for The face on the milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney. I read just about every mystery book by her in elementary school! Loved her! As of right now I have not found any connections to lynching but it is something I will keep an eye on and see if I can make a connection. Recently, My grandmother was admitted into the hospital and I went to visit her last night before I returned to school when I was talking to her she was telling me in short burst about her roommate who she had stay there with her. Her story that was fading in and out of her memory some how reminded me of the book. Her story was this; "Well El, I had this sweet quiet old lady (older than me ya know.) she was about 90 years old she came in yesterday. Spent the night. Then she paused to take a drink of water, and restarted her whole story O Ellie did I tell you about my roommate she was about 90 years old she came yesterday afternoon and spent the night after they got her stable. we watched some westerns and we fell asleep when we woke up we had some S*** hospital breakfast and as I was coming out of the bathroom she was being wheeled out for a test and the last thing she saw before she died in the hall way was me smiling like a big goon head with my gown wide open saying Ill see you where the sun only shines. It reminded me that no matter how the character died in this book maybe she wanted to die or maybe it really was just her time to go. My grandmother at 75left happy thoughts in a 90 year old women mind before she died. It makes you wonder that no matter how sick someone is be it the charterer in this book if she was mentally crazy or just a pot head? Or be it someone like my grandmother who has accelerating Alzheimer no matter what it may be death is always around the corner for everyone so no matter our state of mind and no matter what anyone says we should just take the day as it comes and follow the sun where it always shines with a smile like my grandmother does. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great connection of a fictional world and the real one we live in. Thanks for sharing this story of your grandmother. She sounds very dear to you. And, I'm glad to know that you like mysteries. They're one of my favorite genres too, even though some people consider them "low literature." Have you ever read a mystery that's written in poetry? There's a YA book called Crank, http://www.amazon.com/Crank-Ellen-Hopkins/dp/0689865198, that you might enjoy. While it's not technically a mystery, there are some elements of the genre present.

    ReplyDelete